[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sat Sep 18 15:50:17 EDT 2010

2010/9/18 Stefan Erik Wilkens <stefanwilkens at gmail.com>:
> 2010/9/18 Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com>:
>> On 17-09-10 09:34, Stefan Erik Wilkens wrote:
>>>
>>> Well then the situation is rather simple, isn't it.
>>>
>>> If the amount of traffic a private local mirror generates for the
>>> official mirror is greater than the amount of traffic that any local
>>> clients (excluding any "other purposes" unrelated to the sync process
>>> of course) generate for this local mirror, then obviously something is
>>> very wrong. This should be fairly easy to determine and fairly easy to
>>> attack (sync less frequently, increase the amount of clients syncing
>>> from your local server or perhaps give up the local mirror
>>> completely).
>>
>> Stefan, i think you'd better read the post you responded to. It looks like
>> Nathan's "local" mirror is actually an official mirror...
>>
>> If i understood correctly, he was just being curious what was supposed to be
>> wrong with the mentioned script. ;)
>
> I checked the current mirrorlist before replying, correct me if I'm
> wrong but I can't find any entry relating to the domain Nathan
> included in his mailing, nor is he listed as a tier1 on the
> developer's wiki. Maybe I've missed something painfully obvious here?

yes i think he is specifically asking what was _technically_ wrong
with the aforementioned script from the wiki.

which seems an appropriate question, given the circumstances of
removal; if the only reason was to discourage the creation of local
mirrors... well, to me at least, that seems a poor reason.

i sympathize with some of the reasons for creating localized mirrors.
in particular, when the mirror is located on a removable device it is
especially useful... i did this to perform off-site installations, in
addition to installing packages i needed when a connection wasn't
available (ie. Nathan's train example)

could a script be created that simply spreads the load to _all_ the
official mirrors?  the DB files could be pulled from archlinux.org,
but the packages could be retrieved from all mirrors in parallel...

or what is the core problem here?

C Anthony