[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 18:38:23 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 15:17 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 03:22:27PM -0400, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> > If you don't like the attitude don't use arch. Arch isn't here to
> > babysit you and hold your hand. This is truly what sets arch apart.
> > The users who have been here for 4-5+ years know exactly what I'm
> > talking about.
>
> Not quite true! What sets Arch appart is the aspect of technical
> simplicity but yet powerful.  I have to say what turned me on to Arch
> also what I found to be good write-ups on the Arch wiki on how to set
> up certain items for which I wasn't quite sure how to do.  After all,
> we all started out as beginners at some point.  Sure, Arch isn't a
> turn-key system like some others are but at the same time what stands
> out a good true community is when people help out and answer questions
> and head people in the right direction to RTFM most efficiently.  The
> arogance demonstrated with the beginning line of this quoted message
> is an ice cold way to turn people away from a good powerful distro the
> first time they run into snags.
>
> I don't like the demonstrated attitude but I sure as hell am not gonna
> leave Arch.  The arch way is better than that.

Let's not turn this into a big debate over what the 'Arch Way' means. In
the end its decided by the devs, ie. the ones actually doing the work,
and all the rest of the noise is just trolling.

Matthew posted up a wiki link, discussing the technical merits or
otherwise of that is useful. Another bundle of hot air over "arrogance"
and "hand-holding" just wastes the time of everyone else reading this
list.