[arch-general] How do AUR packages get new maintainers?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:44:50 EDT 2010

On 09/21/2010 09:07 PM, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
>  On 21-09-2010 23:17, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
>>  On 09/21/2010 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>>     I've seen recent "Request to Ophan package XYZ" posts, and I've found some
>>> fairly large AUR packages that are orphaned (like RPM5). But, how do AUR
>>> packages get new maintainers? Does somebody monitor the orphans and then divvy
>>> them out among those with write privileges in AUR or does somebody have to say
>>> I'll take package X on?
>>>
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR
>>
>> Really dude? You've been using arch for how long and still have these
>> elementary questions?
>> Think about you questions and try to find answer before you post to the list.
>> Alternatively hire an arch tutor.
>>

> And who on earth are you?

This is the whole problem that makes Arch so gd frustrating to work with. I ask
a simple question and get nothing back but - dumbass RTFM. C'mon, WTF is a
community mailing list for if not to ask questions about a distribution and how
package assignment is handled.

"Think before you type" works both ways. Yes, if there is an answer in the wiki
that tells you what to do when you find orphaned packages in AUR - I should have
found it. Regardless of whether it is there or whether it was overlooked, when
somebody asks something on the list in an attempt to help Arch -- for God sake,
don't kick them in the teeth.

Common courtesy and civility goes a long way in life.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC