[arch-general] Ugh.. It's Official -- OpenOffice is forked -- LibreOffice

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 29 17:24:47 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Dieter Plaetinck's message of 2010-09-29 09:39:07 +0200:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:24:36 -0500
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> >     For those that rely on OpenOffice, and for those that prepare
> > the packages, it's official, OpenOffice forked as of Sept. 28, 2010.
> > Here is the press release:
> >
> > http://www.documentfoundation.org/contact/tdf_release.html
> >
> >    Main Site:
> >
> > http://www.documentfoundation.org/
> >
> >     Probably best for the long run...
> >

> Our package maintainers follow their projects.
> In fact Andy is already working on new packages, he posted this to
> arch-dev-public.
>
> PS: hundreds of people are following this mailing list, so every mail
> you send ends up in all those peoples mailboxes, maybe you can restrict
> your emails to the more useful stuff.
>
> Dieter

I really didn't know of it before the two threads on this list that
mentioned it now. On the other hand, neither message made clear what's
actually going on.

Which seems to be...
1) There were plans for an independent foundation before, but they were
never realised
2) Oracle seems to not have interest in some of the stuff they acquired
with sun
3) Oracle seems to be a huge, slow and bureaucratic monster

The above is just the impression I got from reading some stuff about it