[arch-general] Ugh.. It's Official -- OpenOffice is forked -- LibreOffice

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:12:28 EDT 2010

On 09/29/2010 09:30 AM, John Holbrook wrote:
> I know a fork can be a pain but why do you say "Ugh"?
>
> When the project was under Sun they maintained way too tight of
> control over everything and they really didn't get the whole Open
> Source philosophy.
>
> Under Oracle? Well, we've seen what they've done with OpenSolaris....
>
> I think that Oracle is trying to be the new M$.

The only reason I say Ugh... is the older I get, the more a creature of habit I
become. A decade ago I used to get excited when packages forked and had the time
to go play. Today, 3-kids later, time is at a premium and I prefer when things
just continue to work so I don't end up spending 10's of hours trouble-shooting
and writing bug reports. I still do the trouble-shooting and I still write bug
reports, but .... exciting it ain't and something else has to get pushed off to
do it.

That being so, I'm not at all unhappy about the choice to fork OO. I think the
devs saw some real conflicts in culture coming down the road and were probably
really smart to do it before a crisis ensued.

So all Ugh's aside, I'm optimistic about LibreOffice and I'm just crossing my
fingers the fork doesn't cost me a work-week worth of hours over the next year
to trouble-shoot and bug. If it does -- that's a price I'm willing to pay :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC