[arch-general] Does Anyone have a "dial-in' server working on arch with pppd?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Sep 30 01:51:29 EDT 2010

Guys,

	In the past I have set up 'dial-in' servers in my home to share the cable
internet connection when I'm at sites with no internet connections. This has
worked great for years on SuSE. The way it works is:
_______________                               _____________________
| other box   | dials modem on server and     |  Server w/modem & |
| kppp dialer |<----------------------------->| cable internet    |
|             | gets an IP and starts ppp     | hylafax-adaptive  |
---------------                               | answer, handles   |
                                              | data call, starts |
                          Internet<---------->| pppd session and  |
                                              | internet out ttyS1|

	I have tried a number of times to get this to work on Arch and I'm drawing
blanks. I have set /etc/ppp/options, chap-secrets, pap-secrets as I have run
them in the past, but they never start ppp. I'm beginning to think that
something is wrong with the current pppd package.

	If somebody has a running config or ideas about how to make this work with
arch, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC