[arch-general] Does Anyone have a "dial-in' server working on arch with pppd?

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 07:54:45 EDT 2010

>        In the past I have set up 'dial-in' servers in my home to share the cable
> internet connection when I'm at sites with no internet connections. This has
> worked great for years on SuSE. The way it works is:
> _______________                               _____________________
> | other box   | dials modem on server and     |  Server w/modem & |
> | kppp dialer |<----------------------------->| cable internet    |
> |             | gets an IP and starts ppp     | hylafax-adaptive  |
> ---------------                               | answer, handles   |
>                                              | data call, starts |
>                          Internet<---------->| pppd session and  |
>                                              | internet out ttyS1|
>                                              ---------------------
>
>        I have tried a number of times to get this to work on Arch and I'm drawing
> blanks. I have set /etc/ppp/options, chap-secrets, pap-secrets as I have run
> them in the past, but they never start ppp. I'm beginning to think that
> something is wrong with the current pppd package.

I don't beleive there's something wrong with pppd, but I can't tell
from your report.
What have you configured and how, and what *does not* work? What do
the logs say?

Also,  /etc/ppp/options, chap-secrets, pap-secrets don't *start* the
pppd process.
You either need to start mgetty on the serial port of the modem( and
configure it with AutoPPP) or start pppd itself on the serial line and
set it with a auto-answer chat script - so that it answers the modem
when it rings).

Either of those should be put in /etc/inittab

--
damjan