[arch-general] base stuff (was: Change Arch's default crond)

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Thu Apr 7 12:08:39 EDT 2011

<grbzks at xsmail.com>wrote:

> >> s/was/is/g
> >>
> >> That is also my understanding in regards to selinux. Although i am not
> >> familiar with "stated positions" about either.
> >>
> >> PS. Ntp is fine application that will keep your clock synchronised.
> >> It seems to be 5 days off. :)
> >
> > Yes the systemd topic keeps popping up, right now we don't know
> > if certain upstream changes are going to force Arch into using systemd
or
> > not.
>
> I dont think such a topic keeps popping up.
> In fact I dont remember reading a discussion between Arch developers
about
> it, ever.
> I could probably go on ranting about stuff thats been shoved down users
> mouths the last years for months but its futile and a waste of time.

It was a discussion that popped up here, a debate between users who felt
replacing sysvinit was completely unneeded to those who seemed to want to
use systemd for some useless, unneeded feature maybe less than 1% of
Arch users were going to actually use.

> > As for adding SELinux support in base but keeping it turned off by
> > default, +1
>
> Although this isnt a vote, mine was for no selinux at all, so its just 1.
> :)

Selinux is another unneeded thing, but even worse is that it practically
requires a doctorate in computer science to manipulate. Can't deny its
security, though. +1 to leaving it out of Arch, not that anyone's asking Arch
to.