[arch-general] Gnome 3 + KDE 4 are both large disappointments.

Matthew Gyurgyik pyther at pyther.net
Sun Apr 10 09:52:58 EDT 2011

On 04/10/2011 03:50 PM, Dennis Beekman wrote:
> I use linux becuase i think that windows is just to bloated to even be
> considered ... but lately Linux has been going in the same direction
> when it comes to the desktop enviroments Gnome 3 & KDE 4.
>
> Gnome 2 was brilliant just a simple easy to use system with load off
> good looking features, gnome 3 however is useless in all respects as
> far as i can tell from whats in testing.
>
> 1. You cannot change the panels anymore you stuck with the 2 given by
> gnome 3.
> 2. Changing themes also is inpossible.. or so it seems.
> 3. Why do we need a system settings menu with all the options in one
> menu ? where are my seperate icons i love so much ? why can we choose
> wich icons or options we want ?
> 4. What about the people ho don't have or don't wich to use they're
> video hardware to run the these stupid graphics ... are we stuck with
> "fallback mode" wich is even more stupid and backward ?
> 5 Where did all the nice applets go ? and why can i not add them to my
> taskbar anymore....
>
> [flaming]
> I though KDE 4 was bad  and bloated and that i couldn't get any
> worse... it seems i was wrong.
> Boy this new Gnome version is even more bloated and buggy then KDE 4
> wich is quite the atchievement from the gnome team...
>
> Now i finnaly understand why the Ubuntu guys decided to use they're
> netbook unity system rather then this shit, eventhough unity sucks it
> better then Gnome 3 in all respects.
>
> [/flaming]
>
> Can we not just keeps using the old version and ignore the new version
> of gnome for now until they get they act together ? or hopefully
> decide to go back to the old interface and develop that further
> instead ...

Sir,

1. Get a Blog
2. Next time, please create a new mail, instead of replying to an
existing thread and changing the topic

In terms of Arch:
*To answer your question, no gnome 3 is staying and we wont see gnome2
in the official repos. There is nothing than prevents you or someone
else from creating a unofficial gnome2 repo.

In terms of Upstream:
*Seems as if upstream doesn't care much about gnome2 any more... you or
someone else can fork it

~pyther