[arch-general] Gnome 3 + KDE 4 are both large disappointments.

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Sun Apr 10 12:58:26 EDT 2011

It is against the Arch way when it's not even going to be actively maintained
upstream for much longer. GNOME 2's got maybe 6-8 months at most before
it's support is gone upstream, and Arch isn't there to act as a "historical
archive" of old desktop environments. Especially in the likely event GNOME 2
will stop working right when the inevitable library bumps occur after its
support drop.

Instead of complaining at the Arch developers for doing their job, you could
just switch to Xfce or LXDE if you want a GTK+ 2 based desktop environment.
Though I personally think GTK+ 2 is visibly showing its age. I wish there were
more Qt-based DE's out there, though I do think KDE is pretty good.