[arch-general] What are people's opinions about this?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Apr 14 02:35:28 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 04:55:32 +0300
schrieb Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com>:

> Yaro Kasear wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 20:45:32 Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> >> This feature request: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23747
> >>
> >> ----
> >> Greg
> >
> > Is this some sort of configuration utility for Xorg? A little
> > background would be nice.
> >

> Autocutsel is not part of the X suite. It changes the way the X
> clipboards work.
> http://www.nongnu.org/autocutsel
>
> "X servers use two schemes to copy text between applications. The
> first one (old and deprecated) is the cutbuffer. It is a simple
> buffer in which any application can store text. The other scheme is
> the selection and works differently. There may be many selections in
> a single server. An application does not copy data in a selection, it
> "owns" it. When another application wants to retreive the content of
> a selection, it asks the owner.
>
> Autocutsel tracks changes in the server's cutbuffer and CLIPBOARD
> selection. When the CLIPBOARD is changed, it updates the cutbuffer.
> When the cutbuffer is changed, it owns the CLIPBOARD selection. The
> cutbuffer and CLIPBOARD selection are always synchronized. Since the
> VNC client synchronizes the Windows' clipboard and the server's
> cutbuffer, all three "clipboards" are always kept synchronized. When
> you copy some text in Windows, the cutbuffer and the CLIPBOARD
> selection are updated. When you copy text on the server using either
> the cutbuffer or the CLIPBOARD selection, the Windows's clipboard is
> always updated.

From what I read about it now, definitely not!

I regularly use both standard X buffers and I need both. I need the
Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V method as well as just pasting the selection with the
middle mouse click. Btw., usually the clipboards of most DEs - at least
the ones of KDE and Xfce - already let the user decide and configure
how both buffers are handled, if they are synchronized or if they are
separated.

So I don't think there's a need for such a tool like autocutsel and it
definitely doesn't have to become a default, means a dependency. Users
who want autocutsel can, of course, install it. But there shouldn't be
any system wide config which forces the users to use it the way the
admin wants them to use it.

Heiko