[arch-general] What are people's opinions about this?

Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti vitoreiji0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:37:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:32:02 +0300
> schrieb Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com>:
>> this affects only the people using the autocutsel package from
>> [community].
>>
>> Autocutsel is useful for people not using a DE and want to adjust the
>> behaviour of the X clipboard. If you are already provided with such a
>> tool, or the way X deals with clipboard contents by default suits you
>> then you don't need it.
>
> Ok, but nevertheless the user should have the choice, even if it's just
> within the autocutsel package.
>
> So a global configuration can make much sense, but it should be
> possible to overwrite it with a local per user configuration. But I
> don't know enough about autocutsel to decide if this is possible and
> how this can be done.

Well, if I understand correctly, the plan is to make the default
behavior to activate autocutsel on installation. That's OK with me,
since I don't plan on installing it anyway.
But, should an admin of a multi-user system install this package he
should be aware that this is going to affect all users in the system.
I know I would be pissed if an admin did that on a system I use, but,
of course, it is his decision to do so or not.
But with this default, an installation note is indispensable.