[arch-general] What are people's opinions about this?

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:51:29 EDT 2011

Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti <vitoreiji0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>> Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:32:02 +0300
>> schrieb Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com>:
>>> this affects only the people using the autocutsel package from
>>> [community].
>>>
>>> Autocutsel is useful for people not using a DE and want to adjust the
>>> behaviour of the X clipboard. If you are already provided with such a
>>> tool, or the way X deals with clipboard contents by default suits you
>>> then you don't need it.
>>
>> Ok, but nevertheless the user should have the choice, even if it's just
>> within the autocutsel package.
>>
>> So a global configuration can make much sense, but it should be
>> possible to overwrite it with a local per user configuration. But I
>> don't know enough about autocutsel to decide if this is possible and
>> how this can be done.
>
> Well, if I understand correctly, the plan is to make the default
> behavior to activate autocutsel on installation. That's OK with me,
> since I don't plan on installing it anyway.
> But, should an admin of a multi-user system install this package he
> should be aware that this is going to affect all users in the system.
> I know I would be pissed if an admin did that on a system I use, but,
> of course, it is his decision to do so or not.
> But with this default, an installation note is indispensable.

Its not only that. Forcing people to configure the application in /etc
means you are forcing them having a global config that applies to all
users. If the user wants to customise it differently from the another
user, he just can't. It has to be applied to other users as well.
With the file in /etc present, a configuration in ~/.xinitrc isn't
possible.
It's the same as installing for example vim or emacs, or gnome or kde
or any application that you find appealing, and not letting you
customise it in your home directory. And if your wife or your kids and
everyone else who wants to use it they must use the same configuration
as you. How would you like that?
Anyway, we just got another awesome post_install message thanks to me.
Hooray!

----
Greg