[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.04.1-2

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 29 05:02:22 EDT 2011

Am 29.04.2011 02:43, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:33:57 +0200
> schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:
>
>> * We now strongly discourage the use of HWCLOCK="localtime", as this
>> may lead to several known and unfixable bugs
>
> This can lead to problems on multi boot systems on which Arch
> Linux is installed parallel to Windows. At least older Windows versions
> can't handle hardware clocks which are set to UTC.
>
> So if there are issues with HWCLOCK="localtime" these should be fixed
> instead.

Frankly, I don't care. The problems with localtime are so numerous and
subtle, handling them all is a waste of time - and it gets worst when
you change your time zones often. Using UTC is the logical approach and
works without bugs.

Every recent operating system I know can handle UTC, even Windows Vista
(bugs before SP1, works with SP1 or later) and Windows 7, and Windows XP
is so old, it shouldn't be used anyway.