[arch-general] Canon MP280 turboprint

Madhurya Kakati mkakati2805 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 01:39:08 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM, R7h0re4 <r7h0re4 at att.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>> That would make sense It does work under Debian 32 so I could always
>> plug in my netbook if I needed something to print.  As it stands I am
>> using a print server which hooks to a windows gaming machine.  I might
>> print like once or twice a month that might be maybe two pages so I am
>> in fear of having the ink dry out more than not working as advertised.
> <snip>
>
> umm, just to give my two cents, but what if you just added the ppd
> file from the debian machine to your archlinux box? cups config isn't
> that much of a hurdle for people who want to look deeper into stuff
> like that.
>
> Even sharing printers wouuld be possible, so that you could just hook
> up the debian box as your intermediate printing instance, because cups
> has proven pretty reliable on this kinda stuff. (I share my oki
> printer to a variety of OSes in my home config)
>
> mar77i

Trust me, I used a crazy number of ppd files but they still don't
work. AFAIK the the document to be printed is converted to postscript
(ps) files and sent to the printer. Canon printer can't print directly
from ps files so they need to convert to a suitable format. I think
thats what the pstocapt file does. And thats the only thing messing
up. CUPS sends everything right but the ps files don't get converted.
I tried printing from a Linux Mint live DVD too using official drivers
but it just won't print. I should have bought a HP laser. :(