[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] dash-0.5.7-2 and filesystem-2011.08-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Aug 10 05:40:54 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:
> Are these deprecated or now handled in the initscripts?

We mount them as part of initscripts. However, if you have entries in
fstab, those take precedence (at least for the time being).

> I've always wondered
> why /proc, /sys, etc can't be in fstab too just so everything is clear,

There would be no upside, as we already know that these things need to
be mounted, and what mount options they should have. The downside is
that if we make it configurable it becomes an extra burden on the user
to update them in case the options need to be changed (as happens from
time to time), and there is a great probability that many people end
up with the "wrong" options and various programs that rely on things
being mounted correctly will break.

> so
> I'm wondering if there's just a trend to move system type mounts from fstab
> to initscripts.

Correct. The rationale being: if we know what to do, we'll do it
unconditionally in initscripts, if we don't know what to do it must be
configured by the user in fstab.

-t