[arch-general] CD eject as non-root user

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:08:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Karol Blazewicz [2011.08.18 1916 +0200]:
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

>> > That's obvious. You have the same effect on any other OS, too.
>>
>> Sorry, I used an inappropriate description of the issue: after
>> mounting *and unmounting*, the button on the CD-ROM is dead.
>
> I can confirm this behaviour.  The error occurs only after the drive was in use
> somehow.  This may be mounting and unmounting the drive, playing a movie using
> vlc (which does not actually mount the drive if I understand correctly), or
> ripping a CD using cdparanoia.
>
> Cheers,
> Norbert

I put the data CD, close the tray, try to mount it, but
  [karol at white ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd/
  mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/cd/ busy

It's definitely not mounted, let's try again
  [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
  [karol at white ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd/
  mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

OK, let's see if it's mounted indeed
  [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
  /dev/sr0 on /media/cd type iso9660 (ro)

Looks fine, unmount it and eject it
  [karol at white ~]$ sudo umount /media/cd/
  [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
  [karol at white ~]$ eject /dev/sr0
  eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Despite the error, the CD got ejected. Using eject is the only way to
do it - pushing the button on the case doesn't to a damn thing ...
unless I push it and try mounting again - in this case, the tray will open.