[arch-general] CD eject as non-root user

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Aug 18 14:33:41 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:08:47 +0200
schrieb Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>:

> I put the data CD, close the tray, try to mount it, but
>   [karol at white ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd/
>   mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/cd/ busy
>
> It's definitely not mounted, let's try again
>   [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
>   [karol at white ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd/
>   mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
>
> OK, let's see if it's mounted indeed
>   [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
>   /dev/sr0 on /media/cd type iso9660 (ro)
>
> Looks fine, unmount it and eject it
>   [karol at white ~]$ sudo umount /media/cd/
>   [karol at white ~]$ mount | grep sr0
>   [karol at white ~]$ eject /dev/sr0
>   eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Despite the error, the CD got ejected. Using eject is the only way to
> do it - pushing the button on the case doesn't to a damn thing ...
> unless I push it and try mounting again - in this case, the tray will
> open.

Since when do you have those issues? It's probably a bug in the kernel
(package linux 3.0.2 and 3.0.3).

I just wanted to try what was explained in this thread and must realize
that my DVD writer isn't detected anymore, no /dev/sr0 anymore. And my
drive is hard locked, means I can't open the tray anymore with the
drive's eject button. And the eject command doesn't work either, of
course.

Here's my bug report:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25649

Heiko