[arch-general] replacement for clyde

Cédric Girard girard.cedric at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 09:17:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used yaourt for a couple of years now.
> It has always worked for me for the most part, and having a common
> command for everything is very convenient for me. alias y=yaourt and
> you have one of the simplest ways to do a complete update of your
> system, y -Syua

I understand this may seems convenient to some. For me it is just useless
and just abstract things from the user. If I want to run pacman -Rs foo, why
would I be motivated to do yaourt -Rs foo instead if yaourt only call pacman
-Rs foo ?

> I always ignored people's comments because the majority argues that it
> is "either too slow", or the "code is ugly".
> These same people would probably be horrified looking through vim's code :P
> These points alone do not make a very convincing argument for me,
> which is why I grew numb to them.

Well you're right, by itself the quality of the code is not an argument for
the end-user. But when the lack of quality impacts speed and this can be
supported by figures then I'd say it makes things completely different.

That said, the situation may have evolved since and it may not be relevant
anymore to throw these arguments against yaourt.

--
Cédric Girard