[arch-general] replacement for clyde

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Aug 20 13:17:40 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:51, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:22:16 +0200
> "Andre \"Osku\" Schmidt" <andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > pacman is the package manager.
> >
> > and AUR is "Unsupported packages are user produced content. Any use of
> > the provided files is at your own risk."
>
> I'm very well aware of it. However, when I install package with AUR, my system
> does not make any distinction between it and other stuff from 'official' repos
> - that's why I want to be able to install from AUR, having proper deps
> resolution etc. hoping that 'package manager/AUR_helper' have trust that I know
> what I'm doing. ;)
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> “In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
> all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)
>
> http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

Having this distinction and having the proper deps installed is easy
using cower unless the deps are in the AUR:

cower -d {packagename} will download the necessary files into a
directory /{pwd}/{packagename/
cower -vu will list any updates from AUR
cower -vud will download the necessary update PKGBUILD etc and won't
overwrite and existing directory.
cower -vudf will download the necessary update PKGBUILD etc and will
overwrite and existing directory.
cd {packagename}
makepkg
pacu packagename

This insures your deps are installed unless the deps are in the AUR.
In which case one should investigate the deps first instead of letting
a package manager blindly download and install unsupported deps that
might break some portion of your system (I've never used yaoart so if
I'm wrong about this point excuse me). For me this is a safer way to
manage AUR packages.

Ciao for now.

Myra