[arch-general] Gnome 3 Always in Fallback Mode

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 04:09:56 EDT 2011

On 23 August 2011 09:48, Max Xie <max.t.xie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my bad English.
>
> I've just bought a new computer about 1 month ago and I tried to install
> archlinux as second OS on it yesterday. But when I got everything done and
> started the Gnome, it took a minute and, started in Fallback Mode with
> a dialog box telling me maybe I have not got proper driver for the graphic
> card. It appeared just the first time I start Gnome, nerver I got that
> dialog box further, still in fallback mode.
>
> My graphic card is Intel HD 2000 integrated in CPU. I'm using
> xf86-video-intel as the driver. I can't check what's wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> ----
> Mail by Max Xie

Hello,

Have you installed 'gnome-shell' as explained in the wiki [0]?
To get back to regular gnome-shell mode, launch gnome-control-center,
navigate to "System info", tab "Graphics" and set "Force fallback
mode" to OFF. If it still says you cannot use it then you may have
issues with your graphic drivers.

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome#Introduction

--
Guillaume