[arch-general] Gnome 3 Always in Fallback Mode

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 05:46:49 EDT 2011

FIRST, stop top posting, it's annoying and I cannot follow the
discussion because of it.

On 08/23/2011 11:51 AM, Max Xie wrote:
> Yeah, I've installed the 'gnome-shell' by the full installation command:
>
> pacman -Syu gnome
> pacman -S gnome-extra
>
> and 'gnome-shell' is surely installed.
>
> The option "Force Fallback Mode" is OFF as the default. But, the problem
> haven't gone.
>
> The GNOME cannot probe my Graphics, it shows 'Uknown' in 'System info'
> control-panel.

doesn't matter since you forgot to install mesa-demos.
pacman -Si gnome-control-center and notice the optdepends

> My CPU is Intel i5-2300, with Intel HD 2000 Graphics within it and that's my
> graphic processor. I've heard about the newest 'xf86-video-intel' can
> support the Intel's new Sandy Bridge and also HD 2000/3000 Graphics so I
> installed it. It seems to work fine with xmonad and Fallback Mode of Gnome.
> Is that driver still under developing and not able to provide Hardware
> Acceleration? Or just the Gnome don't support it? Or I have chosen the wrong
> driver?

second, we cannot help you because:

1)you didn't provide any logs, like /var/log/Xorg.0.log, ~/.xinitrc
2)how do you login into gnome

--
Ionuț