[arch-general] btrfs & Arch

Jonathan Dlouhy dlouhy55 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 16:20:00 EDT 2011

On 08/29/2011 03:22 PM, Simon Schneider wrote:
> I got even more curious about btrfs after following this discussion
> and installed it on my primary laptop (I planned a reinstall anyway to
> get rid of windows). Installation worked perfectly with Archboot,
> setting up two subvolumes, both compressed and everything worked
> perfectly for about a week: My DVR stick made the computer freeze
> (this happens like twice a year) and therfore I had to hard reset the
> machine with the effect that it rendered the filesystem unusable for
> the linux kernel. Grub could still read the kernel image and booted it
> just fine, but as soon as the kernel tried to mount the filesystem it
> crashed. I tried to recover with a live cd, but because I had no
> internet access at that time, and man pages weren't very helpful
> either I eventuelly just reinstalled Arch using the familiar lvm2 +
> ext4 setup. Btrfs is great, don't get me wrong, it really is fast and
> snapshots and all that worked really great, but it is, sadly, a little
> bit too unstable to use it anywhere than on a test machine. Even if
> you have UPS and all kind of measurements to prevent such power
> failures and hard resets, your computer still might hang at some point
> and then you'll really are in big troubles.

I had the same experience with a new Arch install. On shutdown the
computer hung, and after a hard reset the file system was trashed with
no way to recover. I went back to ext4. While it ran it was fast though,
and I look forward to using it again, but only after an fsck utility
becomes available.

Jon