[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: USB Buffering Issue

Ross Hamblin rosscoad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:06:54 EST 2011

And here is an example of what happens to the underlying system when one
sector of the dev community does not listen to or consider the needs of
others when changing or removing legacy(their words not mine)
functionality. In customising and stripping away "unnecessary" stuff
Ubuntu has determined the way it will be in all linux (at least all who
use gnome or kde, or udev/udisk) in the example below. They have removed
features that are not considered useful to Ubuntu without considering
the many outside Ubuntu consquently affecting the many who have
customised it to suit their own cases (supposedly one of the key
benefits of OSS) and now have had their systems broken by this update.
He sums it up nicely  (and without bitterness) at end of his message: "I
guess the people who care about this type of correctness are using
 BSD or Arch and have less say or gentoo and can just recompile"

It doesn't come down to knowledge or experience anymore, it is numbers
that call the shots in that dev world. It is no wonder there are so many
fundamental problems, they are chasing their tails just like MS and
Apple do :) Ubuntu has definitely fallen into that trap, just hope it
doesn't take linux with it :D