[arch-general] Wireless LED stays on during suspend

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sat Dec 3 19:26:06 EST 2011

Hi,

I've recently installed Arch on my laptop and got a odd problem that I
haven't encountered so far.

Whenever I put my laptop into "Suspend to RAM" my wireless LED stays on,
which is quite annoying. It probably doesn't use that much energy, but
still I want to have nothing blinking, but the power LED.

I investigated a little bit into it, and found out that the wireless LED
stays on when at least one of the following devices is activated:
Bluetooth, WWAN, Wireless LAN.

This makes totally sense. As soon as blocking all three of these devices
using rfkill, the LED turns off. I'm probably could now write a script
that would get executed during "Suspend to RAM" using pm-utils.

However before hacking around this, I would like to know what the
expected way for this actually is. Doesn't a "Suspend to RAM" invoke
rfkill at some point or at least shouldn't it try to disable such hardware?

As I haven't experienced this issue with my former laptop, I'm not
exactly sure whether this is a bug or a feature, so I'm glad about any
input you give me on that.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch