[arch-general] Install Arch in stages?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Thu Dec 8 04:41:24 EST 2011

Hi,

Am 08.12.2011 10:21, schrieb Grant McDuling:
> Can I do this is stages or is it best to do the complete basic install in one sitting?

Well, probably you would like to install the basic packages and the
bootloader, so you can at least shutdown your computer and reboot right
into Arch at any given time. Its is absolutely possible to interrupt
before you have done the basic setup, however you would then have to
boot the live medium, mount your new environment and chroot into it.
It's possible, but it makes things more complicated.

After the basic setup you can do whatever you want to (install X,
ALSA/PulseAudio, your favorite desktop environment, ...) in as many
stages you need.

But it is probably a good advice to do some sort of documentation about
what you've installed and what modifications you've done. It is amazing
how fast you forget these details and after doing the research twice (or
even more often ;)) you will appreciate this kind of documentation very
much. Furthermore it will help you to keep track of what you've already
achieved/installed and what is still to do.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch