[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 15 23:19:59 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr.
Sent: Fri 12/16/2011 05:03

I don't really think that people put any conscious thought into if they
should top or bottom post. A majority of mail clients and
the aforementioned Gmail default to top posting. What I would like to know
is why is this the common practice. [snip]

+++

I can explain the reason why :p.

In the office they file that way. Old sheets are under new sheets. It's convenient since you don't need to change all the papers, just to file another sheet.

For emails it of cause is better to do it vice versa, but the majority doesn't work scientific/creative, so the better style has no advantage for those people. For them it's easier to do the same thing on the computer, as they do for 'real' folder.