[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Dec 16 06:24:29 EST 2011

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> [...]
The creators of the original email protocol could have if they chose put
together an rfc on top posting and writers of email programs could have
written software in such a way that top posting became impossible.  None
of that happened to the best of my knowledge.  Why?  Also, what does the
future of email composition software hold on all operating system
platforms?  Personally, I wouldn't mind having a configuration setting in
the software which would allow people to choose top posting or bottom
posting of email messages as a transitional step, but I don't see that
happening either.  I use Linux when I can and Windows when I must and
usually alpine on Linux and either outlook on windows for now.  When my
mac was working I used to use apple mail too.  Probably the best thing to
do is get good email composition software out the door  for cli and gui
interfaces that either allows a choice between top and bottom posting or
just allows bottom posting and recommend the use of that software to
people.  I don't have a problem with bottom posting but do have a problem
of thinking to do it when sending email especially when under stressful
situations and I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation either.