[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:56:42 EST 2011

On 16-12-11 12:24, Jude DaShiell wrote:
[ bottom posting, nettiquette ]

> The creators of the original email protocol could have if they chose put
> together an rfc on top posting and writers of email programs could have
> written software in such a way that top posting became impossible.  None
> of that happened to the best of my knowledge.  Why?

Actually, the netiquette *is* an RFC(1855), top posting is mentioned in
3.1.1:

<quote>
If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough
text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers
understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews,
especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host
to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing
the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the
entire original!
</quote>

mvg,
    Guus