[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 16 09:05:16 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 14:51 +0100, G. Schlisio wrote:

> Am 16.12.2011 11:20, schrieb Allan McRae:
> > On 16/12/11 12:17, gt wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > My favourite option is to have someone with admin access to the list
> > (e.g. me...) just unsubscribe anyone who top posts.
> >
> > Allan
> >
> really not helping anyone. i personally prefer top posting, but there
> are some points raised for bottom posting i never thought about before.
> for me, top posting seemed to save scrolling time, and everything
> included after the reply i regarded as a reference for remembering
> discussion on the topic.
> so if i dont know about 'bottom positng policy' onthis mailinglist, i'll
> be kicked right out?
> man, i cant think of something more stupid…

Scrolling could become an issue if some people do top and other people
do bottom posting. Plus somebody like me should use a M$ thingy of his
provider and confuse people with "+++" marks since the thingy doesn't
quote. I'm also against hard rules, but for mailing lists IMO it's good
to post bottom, to use plain text only, to avoid notes similar to
                                                       ^^^^^^^
since ^^^^^^^ on braille makes no sense. One of the bad things using
HTML are the fonts. IIRC there's a M$ font where "J" is a smiley.

Cheers!

Ralf