[arch-general] Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231] - FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper

Alex Liu rnkn22 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 23:40:58 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>  I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a small dell I
> moved into our TV console to use as a media center box. I installed a wireless
> usb adapter 'WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]' to join the box to
> our wireless network. The box dual-boots and works fine under xp, so after
> reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless and not finding
> the model in the kernel driver, I decided to try ndiswrapper. I have run into an
> issue that I'm stuck on.

First, have you tried the generic broadcom-wl driver instead of
ndiswrapper? It causes some problems sometimes, but in my experience
it is pretty much the easiest way to get a Broadcom card working that
is not in the kernel.
You can install it from AUR or build it yourself after downloading the
source from broadcom (there's a link in the wiki). You might have to
blacklist b43 and/or ssb because those can cause conflicts with the wl
module sometimes.

However, I found some similar issue on Ubuntu, which was a version
conflict problem. There was some older version of ndiswrapper in
Ubuntu's packet manager which was not compatible with the kernel, so
the fix was to manually install a newer version. Might be a long shot,
but if nothing works, you might try to install ndiswrapper-1.57rc1
instead of 1.56 (the version in pacman). I'm not sure if the 1.57rc1
is in the testing repos, but you can get it from SourceForge if not.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/

Tell me if anything of this works for you.