[arch-general] clipped video output with multihead

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 18 07:56:47 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 09:41 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> El 18/12/11 08:40, Ralf Madorf escribió:
> > On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> >> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
> >>
> >> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> >> 162 audio&  361 video codecs
> >>
> >> I get the following display problem on screen 2
> > Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
> > install all video players that are available.
> >

> I think it is not a problem of the video player, but it's xserver fault.
>
> with VLC I have the same problem,
> http://i39.tinypic.com/ncxod3.png
>
> With 3d games I do not experience this issue, tested with neverball.
>
> Also, with tvtime (video4linux, for displaying content through your tv
> pci/pcie card) I get the same problem.

Currently I don't have access to a video player. But IIRC they provide
options how to display videos. Usually we use a mode that makes it
impossible to take an 'averaged' screen shot, but there are other modes
that are slower (enabling 'averaged' screen shots), but those could work
anyway and sometimes those modes avoid some failure. Perhaps you could
try options regarding to the way the video is displayed by X.

No knowledge, just a shot in the dark.

Ralf