[arch-general] OT: clipped video output with multihead

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 06:53:50 EST 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:35:35 +0100
Ralf Madorf wrote:

> There are solutions for audio, but for video I suspect unlikeable OS to
> have advantages :(.

Considering a lot of the digital signage industry uses Linux on many
screens I suspect it can handle video just fine. Flash in a browser has
crap performance for two reasons a badly written flash player and maybe
needs gpu access set-up and because rendering in browsers is
inefficient anyway, I wish they'd look at that, rather than dumb
javascript stats that break some of the grsecurity kernel security
patches features. By default non-free codecs may be a problem and
apparently xine is thought to be most reliable for dvds and probably a
lot of codecs etc..

Whatever platform you use, no single format will work on all by default.
I thought I'd found one (mpeg2 with expired copyright), untill I tried
it on a playbook?, I think. Which is why Google are pushing vp8 but
getting resistance from Apple.