[arch-general] Question regarding the default file manager in XFCE

Vladimir Nikšić vniksic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:42:14 EST 2011

I'm using xfce wm. I rarely even use a file manager, I do things through
the console almost all the time, but sometimes I need a file manager,
makes some things easier.

Thunar as a file manager is OK, but nautilus is a lot more powerful, has
decent tab implementation etc, etc, doesn't really matter. I went to
settings -> preferred application and selected Nautilus under File
Manager. This works only to the extent that when I click on Application
Menu and then file manager, Nautilus starts up.

I would like it so that Nautilus starts when I click on a directory or
some sort of volume (loop mount, usb stick, whatever, nfs share) on the
desktop. Instead, thunar always starts, which kinda defeats the whole
purpose of the preferred application setup?

Am I asking something that's technically difficult or maybe there's a
good reason why this can't be done?

Thanks!