[arch-general] Haskell Support Was: [arch-haskell] Xmonad version?

Ethan Schoonover es at ethanschoonover.com
Tue Dec 20 15:11:40 EST 2011

2011/12/20 Cédric Girard <girard.cedric at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Ethan Schoonover <es at ethanschoonover.com
> >wrote:
>
> > 2. Always avoid AUR Haskell packages (they are mostly out of date)
>
> I'm not sure about this. First I find this unrespectful to the people
> spending time maintaining Haskell PKGBUILDs in the AUR (and I'm not saying
> this before I do).

No disrespect intended; this comes directly from the arch-haskell mailing
list:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html

Their point is specifically that many AUR haskell packages are not at all
maintained. I'm sure there are some that are, but until this cull is
complete or a "whitelist" of AUR haskell packages shows up, I don't know
which AUR haskell packages those would be.

> Second, my own experience lead me to disable [haskell] repository on my
> computers because some packages were out of date but where picked before
> AUR ones by the aur helper I use.

Hence the confusion around this issue. If Haskell AUR packages are indeed
being deprecated then is [haskell] now more of a definitive source or is it
*also* not well maintained?

Take a look at that thread I link to in this mail, hopefully it will
clarify my inclusion of the avoid AUR position in the rough package
selection heuristic.

es