[arch-general] Haskell Support Was: [arch-haskell] Xmonad version?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Dec 20 15:48:05 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:11:40PM -0800, Ethan Schoonover wrote:
> 2011/12/20 Cédric Girard <girard.cedric at gmail.com>
>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Ethan Schoonover
>> <es at ethanschoonover.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Always avoid AUR Haskell packages (they are mostly out of date)
>>
>> I'm not sure about this. First I find this unrespectful to the
>> people spending time maintaining Haskell PKGBUILDs in the AUR (and
>> I'm not saying this before I do).
>>

> No disrespect intended; this comes directly from the arch-haskell
> mailing list:
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html
>
> Their point is specifically that many AUR haskell packages are not
> at all maintained. I'm sure there are some that are, but until this
> cull is complete or a "whitelist" of AUR haskell packages shows up,
> I don't know which AUR haskell packages those would be.

The cull is complete.  I've orphaned *all* haskell packages on AUR
that were owned by the archhaskell user.

>> Second, my own experience lead me to disable [haskell] repository
>> on my computers because some packages were out of date but where
>> picked before AUR ones by the aur helper I use.
>
> Hence the confusion around this issue. If Haskell AUR packages are
> indeed being deprecated then is [haskell] now more of a definitive
> source or is it *also* not well maintained?

I'd say it's fairly well maintained.  There are always going to be
issues with tracking Hackage due to

1. The frequency of updates being uploaded to Hackage.
2. The dependencies of packages.
3. The decision to stick to HP in Arch [extra]/[community].

The amount of recompilation necessary in [haskell] is a bit daunting,
but unfortunately necessary.  This means that if you can offer access
to a *fast* build machine then that'd be very useful.  Even more
useful would an automated build machine be; some place where source
packages could be uploaded to be built.

> Take a look at that thread I link to in this mail, hopefully it will
> clarify my inclusion of the avoid AUR position in the rough package
> selection heuristic.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay