[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Fri Dec 23 04:39:11 EST 2011

On Dec 23, 2011 2:41 AM, "Ralf Madorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of PA?

Do not install an application requiring it?

You'll need to provide context about what you're trying to accomplish
(clear and simple goals) and what you've already done (eg. I ran command
xyz, I installed gnome, etc ...)

So far we've only learned PA probably sux, you don't want it on you system,
and some random bits about Debian ;-) ... best to assume nothing of the
solution since that's what you are here requesting.  Simply state your
end-goals, the issue(s), and the path taken thus far.

IIRC PA is split into a library package, among others. Many pkgs will dep
libpulse, but it cannot be loaded (or possibly will not) without the
accompanying support packages.

Audio is not my thing, but I absorb passively often as possible.  PA will
play nicely with other impls by suspending itself and releasing the
hardware when requested, allowing (JACK and ?) others to assume control.
My guess is there is not an issue here ... I suggest moving forward until a
concrete problem is encountered, or running headless.

While I'm not into pro audio, I do use PA successfully on several machines
daily with great satisfaction and zero issue; be sure you understand the
difference between ALSA, alsa-lib, and PA.

--

C Anthony [mobile]