[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 23 12:32:35 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 14:34 +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> This is a Unix issue and not even a Linux issue though Linux tends to be
> worse than other Unices. OpenBSD tries to minimise these dependencies
> as more code equals more bugs but they do get constant headaches from
> upstream. It's better than having ancient libraries like on windows
> around though. There is one distro aiming to I think statically build
> everything but I don't think it will do a great deal at the moment.
>
> One of the main reasons I have chosen to use arch is because you don't
> have to go around switching crap off after each upgrade or after
> install only to find they moved the init for the umpteenth time without
> documenting it and making it more difficult as if they are pissed off
> that you want to turn off the avahi-daemon crap etc..
>
> I run xfce with gnome-alsamixer and alsa as neither xfces mixer nor
> pulse audio are compatible with the grsecurity kernel patch with all
> security protections enabled, but I didn't try gnome3 because it works
> on less hardware and I have to disable 3d support on some machines,
> due to the gaping security hole that graphics cards require and now
> web browsers have access to.
>
> The arch alsa page is quite helpful and I imagine gnome will run just
> fine with alsa even if the gnome developers have decided as I have seen
> blogged that no-one has any reason not to use pulseaudio.
>
> Kc

IIRC on Debian I had GNOME 3.0.x installed and this worked when I simply
replaced the pulseaudio package and a second package with an empty
dummy. For the "regular" and for the "fallback" mode. Of cause I used
ALSA or jackd with ALSA backend and I preferred to switch to Xfce. IIRC
for Debian pulseaudio was installed when there was the upgrade from
GNOME2 to GNOME3.

- Ralf