[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:57:03 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Ralf Madorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 11:27 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> >
>> > # pacman -Rss pulseaudio
>> > checking dependencies...
>> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> > :: gnome-settings-daemon: requires pulseaudio
>> > :: pulseaudio-alsa: requires pulseaudio
>> >

>> ok then, gnome requires pulseaudio. The only way to get rid of
>> pulseaudio is to get rid of gnome.
>
> 1.
>
> At the moment only GDM is installed, not GNOME.

GDM is a part of GNOME, it pulls one bazillion GNOME dependencies, and
one of them is, in fact, PulseAudio.

> 2.
>
> I had GNOME3 installed for Debian and 2 dummy packages solved all
> issues, since GNOME3 doesn't need PA, just some "my computer should be a
> toy, instead of a tool" tasks need PA.
>
> Okay, if the policy of Arch Linux is to force people to install unneeded
> stuff, than it simply isn't the distro I should use.

Don't blame Arch.  It is GNOME's fault, because they are too lazy to
use something more universal rather than sticking with Pulse.

On the other thought, you are an idiot anyways, and it would be better
to get you out of there.  Arch IS NOT a distro for idiots that can't
read the pacman output.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post