[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 23 04:51:17 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 11:27 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 11:25 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 11:17 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> >> can you clarify that you are talking about pulseaudio and not about
> >> libpulse?
> >
> > # pacman -Rss pulseaudio
> > checking dependencies...
> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> > :: gnome-settings-daemon: requires pulseaudio
> > :: pulseaudio-alsa: requires pulseaudio
> >

> ok then, gnome requires pulseaudio. The only way to get rid of
> pulseaudio is to get rid of gnome.

1.

At the moment only GDM is installed, not GNOME.

2.

I had GNOME3 installed for Debian and 2 dummy packages solved all
issues, since GNOME3 doesn't need PA, just some "my computer should be a
toy, instead of a tool" tasks need PA.

Okay, if the policy of Arch Linux is to force people to install unneeded
stuff, than it simply isn't the distro I should use.

Thanks,

Ralf