[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 23 05:16:12 EST 2011

On 12/23/2011 12:11 PM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 03:39 -0600, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>> Do not install an application requiring it?
>
> Why does GDM require it?
> Why does GNOME3 require it?

why are you talking about it here? We are not GNOME.

but to answer your question, gdm always was a instance of a user
session(gdm) modified.

To work everything in the login manager, the way it looks, the way it
works, as in power manager, suspend, video, everything! is done by
gnome-settings-daemon.

>> You'll need to provide context about what you're trying to accomplish
>> (clear and simple goals) and what you've already done (eg. I ran command
>> xyz, I installed gnome, etc ...)
>
> The goal is a DAW with a professional audio card from RME. Since PA
> isn't needed, but it's always good to cause trouble, I won't have it
> installed.
>
> I wish to have the libre to use GNOME3, even if I now use Xfce only.
>
>> So far we've only learned PA probably sux, you don't want it on you system,
>> and some random bits about Debian ;-) ... best to assume nothing of the
>> solution since that's what you are here requesting.  Simply state your
>> end-goals, the issue(s), and the path taken thus far.
>
> I installed ArchLinux, upgraded it by the basic repositories and only
> installed Xfce, GDM, some mailers, NVIDIA driver, nothing else until
> now.

if you don't like gdm, remove it and replace it with lxdm,lightdm or
other crap out there.

--
Ionuț