[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Dec 23 06:12:25 EST 2011

Quoting Ralf Madorf (2011-12-23 11:35:49)
>Wow :D
>
>I first just asked for a solution similar to Debian dummy packages and
>get tons [1] of insults.

No, you didn't. You only mentioned that you used dummy packages on
debian. You asked and talked about a lot of other things.
Please consider writing fewer but more thought-through mails.

>Then I explained why I (and I know a lot of other people) will install
>e.g. GNOME. I'll do it again. We might wish to use this DE or simply GDM
>as login manager. I don't blame Arch Linux packages, I just blame
>answers like "don't use gnome".
>
>No netiquette?
>
>I was silent since days, stopped putting in my 2 cents all the time and
>now I asked for help and get those answers?! That's strange and creepy.

This list isn't usually offensive, this thread has a low SNR, which
might be what annoys people.

>Anyway, if somebody should know a solution how to use GNOME without PA,
>any hints are welcome.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Ralf

Maybe there are dummy packages in AUR, maybe you need to create them. I
personally try to avoid DEs and their dependencies. libpulse is
installed on my system as well, there was no way around it, but libpulse
on its own doesn't run, doesn't hurt, so I can live with that.

Regards,
Philipp