[arch-general] ArchBang and other derivates resemblance to Arch

Olivier Keun olivier.keun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 03:51:16 EST 2011

On the forums, we see an increasing number of threads about ArchBang.
Understandably so, since not only does it carry "Arch" in the name, it also
uses the same styling [1], and supposedly users are told there to use the
Arch wiki and forum for support.

People are asking if ArchBang is an official Arch project [2], which it
obviously isn't. ArchBang is more a one-click or no-config install which
goes against the Arch philosophy. Also our Forum Etiquette states that
community support is _only_ given for installations done from official Arch
installation media [3].

While ArchBang (and probably some other spin-off distros) are very similar
and sometimes almost identical to Arch, they are _not_ Arch and in my
opinion this should be made more clear to avoid any damage to the Arch
project as a whole.

What are your thoughts about this? I'm hoping to get an official reaction
from our dev-team, so we can avoid some of the confusion that is present
now.

[1] http://archbang.org/
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=889066#p889066
[3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette#How_to_Post