[arch-general] vbox PUEL: copy/pate Arch host - Arch guest not working: VBoxclient-all started

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Mon Feb 7 14:15:44 EST 2011

David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 06:10 AM, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
>>     Cannot you just display everything on the host X server by setting
>> DISPLAY to the appropriate value?
>>

> Thanks Jerome,
>
>     That's what I'm doing. I have Arch on my laptop (as the host running
> kdemod3) and I have virtualbox running with Arch installed in that (as
> the guest with fluxbox) to build Trinity in. It's all running on my
> laptop so it should all be the host X server. Am I missing something??

	Yes, you are missing something: from what you are describing the
guest applications are running on the *guest* X server (the fact
that it is in turn running inside a virtual machine which runs on
the host server is irrelevant). You should make them run on the host
X server instead:

- Do not start an X server on the guest (whether with fluxbox or any
other wm);

- Run “export DISPLAY=192.168.x.x:0” in the guest console (replace
with the host IP address);

- Then run a terminal (xterm, urxvt or whatever) from the guest
console. This should open a new window in the *host* environment
(i.e in kdemod3), with the terminal actually running in the *guest*
environment. You might need to play with “xauth” to authorize the
guest to connect on the host.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr