[arch-general] How best to downgrade gcc to 4.4 or 4.3?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:05:25 EST 2011

On 02/14/2011 07:32 PM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> Just a quick question for you, as I understand it Trinity is basically a
> fork of kde3. From your comments in this thread it does seem there is
> some activity in the project. What's the plans of the project, an
> indefinite maintenance of current functionality (I'm assuming its
> qt3-based) ad infinitum?

It's actually a bit more than a fork at this point. Trinity is KDE3 that has
been ported to cmake (for the most part), currently uses Qt3, but is being moved
to Qt4 (in a proposed seamless fashion) through the use of tqtinterface that
currently works with Qt3, but is designed to allow the use of Qt4 in the near
future (still in work - and the details are over my head). When the shift to Qt4
is complete, Trinity will retain the KDE3 look to the interface, but simply
incorporate Qt4 to do it. There is no desire to make Trinity look like KDE4.

Trinity is basically KDE3 that has been rewritten to be compatible with the
current Linux libraries, etc. I have written a wiki for Trinity on Arch where I
have tried to include as much relevant information on the project as it relates
to Arch (and which is a running set of notes on where I am in with the project).
I have also included relevant links to the information at the Trinity site:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trinity

The current stable release is KDE 3.5.12. The svn development tree is KDE
3.5.13. The intent is to maintain KDE3 so that it remains a "choice" as a Linux
desktop - no different than you have the "choice" to use gnome, kde4, lxde, e17,
fluxbox, etc..., Trinity provides the choice to use a current KDE3. The goal of
my project is simply to create a set of PKGBUILDs that allows Trinity to be
easily built and maintained for Arch.

There are current binaries provided and maintained for Debian, Slackware and
Ubuntu. My project for Arch, another for openSuSE (Robert Xu) and another for
Mandriva (Tim Williams) are currently underway.

The challenge for me is Arch is so current, we were the first to run into the
gcc >=4.5 problem. The trinity project (headed by Timothy Pearson) is active and
has been around since KDE3 was abandoned. It has stable leadership and has
gained needed support for critical mass. I think it's here to stay and it would
be icing on the cake to make it available for Arch.

The project has been fun so far and a learning experience, but I can always use
help. If for nothing else, just help to point me in the right direction when I
get stuck on a compile issue and help figuring out how best to do the PKGBUILDs.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.