[arch-general] Howto - tell pacman -S (-U) to overwrite existing file in filesystem?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Feb 20 18:28:17 EST 2011

On 02/20/2011 04:15 PM, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2011-02-20 15:32:14 -0600] David C. Rankin:
>> The question is "Can I do something in the PKGBUILD to tell pacman
>> - if the file is already there -> overwrite it?"
>
> Please. This mailing list is not for people to read you man pages.
>
> Next time, could you first spend five minutes to try and answer your
> questions on your own? Here, it was as simple as searching for "pacman
> overwrite" in Google, or looking for "overwrite" in pacman's man page.
>
> I am sure you understand this would benefit to everyone.
>
> For a more lengthy essay on the topic, see:
>
> 	http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

Thank you Gaetan and Sebastian,

  From your answers, I don't think you read my question before giving the the
RTFM dismissal.

  I know how pacman -f works. I stated that in my original email. I'm not asking
how to make pacman do it. I'm asking:

<quote>
The question is "Can I do something in the PKGBUILD to tell pacman
- if the file is already there -> overwrite it?"
</quote>

  The only information I found in man PKGBUILD on force was option(force) which
relates to triggering an update even though the version number would not
normally do so.

  I apologize if I missed it in the man page, but that is why I asked.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.