[arch-general] Howto - tell pacman -S (-U) to overwrite existing file in filesystem?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sun Feb 20 18:42:37 EST 2011

On 02/20/11 18:28, David C. Rankin wrote:
> The question is "Can I do something in the PKGBUILD to tell pacman
> - if the file is already there ->  overwrite it?"

Please don't.  Put it in your release notes instead.  Don't silently
overwrite user-written files!

You might look into configuration management too (the thing that
generates *.pacnew files among other things) -- I'm not sure if it'd be
useful, but that research might tell you what's been done/discussed
before when making /etc files be newly pacman-managed.

-Isaac