[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 23 20:38:42 EST 2011

On 24/02/11 10:15, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
>> about corruption?
>>
>> #8  0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
>> "malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
>> #9  0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
>> #10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660
>>
>> I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
>> to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
>> though??
>>

> Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc>  ~ 2.11.
> I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
> you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.

Never heard of that.  Do you have a link?  I was thinking that this was
a treading issue further up the stack... (libxcb??)

> What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
> clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
> multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
> dependencies for packages later in the build order.

I use makechrootpkg -r /root/of/chroot -- -i.   That tells makepkg to
install after building and the lack of -c means the chroot cleaning does
not occur so those packages stay installed.

The other option is to set-up a repo in your chroot with your currently
built packages.  That way the dependencies get pulled in as needed.
There should be flags for that in makechrootpkg too.

> Any other choices for a clean build environment that doesn't involve a VM or
> archroot -- other than dumping an existing install and starting fresh?

If this is virtualbox specific, I'd try qemu-kvm.

Allan