[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:15:39 EST 2011

On 02/23/2011 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
> about corruption?
>
> #8  0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
> "malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
> #9  0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
> #10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660
>
> I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
> to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
> though??

Hmm.. This is looking like it is a memory corruption in VMs with glibc > ~ 2.11.
I'll dump building in Virtualbox and setup a new x86_64 box for the purpose. If
you have any other thoughts/ideas on the glibc/VM issue, I'd welcome them.

What this seems to indicate is that you can no longer rely on building in a
clean VirtualBox Arch VM. This problem is more acute for large projects with
multiple layers of dependencies where an archroot proves difficult for managing
dependencies for packages later in the build order.

Any other choices for a clean build environment that doesn't involve a VM or
archroot -- other than dumping an existing install and starting fresh?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.