[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:53:13 EST 2011

On 02/23/2011 01:38 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 06:41 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>> That prelink patch is very, very unlikely to cause the issue.  It was also the
>> only change between 2.13-3 and 2.13-4...  As I pointed out, there are other
>> distros using that patch without reported issue and it is now in glibc mainline
>> so nothing is obviously wrong with it.  Also, I have had no other crash reports
>> since this update...
>>

>> I just looked back through this thread and your backtraces are all over the
>> place.  First it was an issue with libxcb, and then on a different VM it is
>> somewhere completely different.    What is difference across your VMs that you
>> get consistent crashes in one but not the other?
>>
>> Allan
>
> The basic x86_64 Arch VMs are the SAME VM, just moved from one box to the other
> (one on my laptop copied from my backup server where it was originally
> installed). The packages are identical on the VMs except on the first I had
> rebuilt libxcb and glibc with options(!strip) and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g".
>
> I will rebuild Trinity and update both VMs and then give updated .kcrashes for
> each. If 2.13-3 works fine and 2.13-4 causes the crash, it just points to some
> unintended consequence in the update. I'll rebuild, update both and report back.
> But if Baho is also seeing something -- the plot thickens.

I have rebuilt libxcb with !strip and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g". I have rebuild glibc
with !strip and CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g" ...and... removed all the 'manual strip'
calls from the bottom of the package() function. The kdesktop crash happens just
as before, but now all the ? marks are gone from the backtrace. The new
backtrace with full information is:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_03.kcrash

before removing the 'manual strip' info from package() it was:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_02.kcrash

This is with Virtualbox 3.2.10. So I upgraded to 4.0.4 to see if there was any
change... There wasn't anything I noticed. Same kdesktop crash:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/err/x86_64-archangel/kdesktop+libxcb+glibc-debug_04.kcrash

I have no idea what the error means, but it looks like malloc is complaining
about corruption?

#8  0x00007f3550d27b96 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7f3550dd6a2e
"malloc(): memory corruption", ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
#9  0x00007f3550d2a4ad in _int_malloc (av=0x7f3551012ea0, bytes=16) at malloc.c:4396
#10 0x00007f3550d2c460 in __libc_malloc (bytes=16) at malloc.c:3660

I'll also follow up with the Trinity folks because I have just tried downgrading
to glibc 2.13-3 and I'm still getting the error on x86_64. No issues with i686
though??

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.